Sight seeing in Kildare

We are located in a beautiful part of the country and have a plethora of places and things to do right on our doorstep

 

To get directions from Cherryville House to any of the attractions listed, please click on a photo/picture and your map will open in a new window

 

Japanese Gardens Tully, Co. Kildare

The Japanese Gardens: The symbolism of life the gardens portray traces the journey of a soul from Oblivion to Eternity. The human experiences of the soul's embodiement as it journeys through the paths of life are displayed in the symbolic surrounds of each of the twenty stages throughout the garden. Each stage absorbs the mood and atmosphere of its representation. On descending the 'Hill of Learning' to the level of his fellow students he resists the temptation of the easy path and follows the more challenging rugged path of adventure which leads step by step through his adolescent years to the 'Parting of the Ways' Descending from the summit of the 'Hill of Ambition' the couple pause by the waterfall to pray to their god who makes the way easier and the bridge across the water smooth. Upon crossing, they reach the 'Tea House' and the miniature Japanese Village. On reaching the 'Well of Wisdom' the couple pause to wish for enlightment before crossing the "Red Bridge of Life' which leads them into the 'Garden of Peace and Contentment' beyond.

The Irish National Stud, Co. Kildare

The Irish National Stud: The farm at Tully, Kildare, which is today the home of the Irish National Stud, was the brainchild of Colonel William Hall-Walker, a Scotsman in 1900. He decided, much against the wishes of his father, to breed thoroughbred horses at Tully. Hall-Walker's views on breeding have been described as inspired, preposterous and eccentric. The ten stallion boxes with their distinctive lantern roofs stand as proof of his highly successful, extraordinary policies on breeding and management. He believed that the stars dictated the destiny of all living creatures. He therefore considered it very important that the moon and stars should exercise their maximum influence on their subjects and thus skylights were incorporated into the roofs of all stabling he built

Moone High Crosses and Church Moone, Kildare

This High Cross, with its beautiful flat stylised and naïve figures, is 17 feet high, unique and one of the most appealing of all the High Crosses. On the east face are Daniel and seven lions, the Sacrifice of Isaac, Adam and Eve, the Crucifixion; the south face has The Miracle of the Loaves and Fishes, The Flight into Egypt, The Three Children in the Fiery Furnace and various animal, while the north face has SS Paul and Anthony breaking bread in the desert. The cross stands on the site of an Early Christian monastery allegedly founded by St. Columba. An abbot of the monastery is known to have died in 1014, and in 1040 it was raided by Diarmuid of the Ui Ceinnsealaigh who carried away many prisoners from it. In the 13th century the Fitzgeralds founded a new church which has antae, and unless these belong to an earlier church, they represent one of the latest survivals of this feature in Irish architecture. The church was repaired in 1609. Inside it are the remains of another cross built into cement and decorated with animals and centaurs

Railway & Steam Museum. Co. Kildare

The museum has a fine collection of model engines recording the development of the locomotive since the 18th century. Richard Trevithick's Third Model, built 1797, is the oldest 4-wheeled self-propelled object in existence. Collection of full-size stationery engines working under 'live steam' includes early beam engines and a 1920 marine 3-cylinder engine. Fully restored marine from the SS Divis of Belfast. Multimedia and hands-on areas. Tea house, gift shop

Kildare Cathedral

Kildare Cathedral and Round Tower Kildare Cathedral stands on the site of a church which was burned in the 9th century. Succeeding churches were burned and the Cathedral was built by Ralph of Bristol around 1223. In the rebellion of 1641, Ralph's Cathedral was burned but towards the end of the century, part of it was rebuilt. The remainder was rebuilt in 1875. One of it's distinguishing features is the three light window, which depicts scenes from the three Saints of Ireland - Patrick, Brigid and Columcille. Interestingly, Kildare is where St. Brigid is supposed to have founded her first convent. It is believed that the Cathedral was built on the site of her convent, but this is by no means certain. Also of interest is the round tower that is in the grounds of the Cathedral, which has a doorway fourteen feet from the ground. But it is spoiled by the modern battlements that were forced on to the top

Castletown House

The building was begun between 1721 and 1722 for William Conolly (1622-1729), the son of a Donegal innkeeper who, through astute dealings in forfeited estates after the Williamite wars, had become the richest man in Ireland. It was Conolly who instigated building the Parliament House on College Green, the first of its kind in Europe. The design of the house was entrusted to the Florentine Alessandro Galilei (1691-1737), best known for his work on the Lateran Basilica in Rome. It is not known precisely how much of Castletown is Galilei's work, but he was certainly responsible for devising the overall scheme of the centre block, which was flanked by colonnades to lower service pavilions in the manner of Palladio's villas in the Veneto - a concept that was completely new in Ireland and later became the prototype and inspiration for numerous houses. Castletown's interior was largely created during the time of Tom Conollys, the Speaker's great nephew, who inherited the property in 1758 when he was twenty-four. That same year he married the fifteen-year-old Lady Louisa Lennox, daughter of the second Duke of Richmond, whose older sister Emily had already married James, the Earl of Kildare, and was living nearby at Carton. Tom Conolly had a weak, indecisive character, but Louisa was extremely dynamic and immediately set about completing the house. Alterations and improvements to the house during the period of 1760 to 1766 included the creation of the dining-room and work on the red and green drawing rooms. The green drawing-room, formerly the saloon, has been restored with green silk copied from the original fabric (1765) and gilded fillet copied from Chamber's design for the fillet in the gallery at Osterly Park. Tom Conolly died in 1803 but Lady Louisa lived on for many years. She eventually died in 1821, seated in a tent erected on the lawn in front of Castletown, for it was her wish that she should go looking at the house she had loved so much

Straffan Butterfly Farm

The farm was opened in 1986 because of the owners interest in butterflies and in nature generally. Butterflies are fascinating and beautiful creatures and the farm is an indoor all weather centre - a mini visit to an exotic tropical environment here in Ireland. It is an opportunity to see at close range some of the world's most exotic creatures and observe their interesting life cycles. There is a large exhibition area of butterfly collections from all over the world with a special emphasis on educational and living displays. In the tropical butterfly house relax among colourful blooms and exotic plants while butterflies fly and feed around you. Other attractions include Living Exhibition: (safely behind glass) of creepy crawlies including Tarantulas, Scorpions, Stick Insects and Reptiles. Facilities: Gift Shop Ample Parking for cars and coaches Toilets Picnic Area All displays are accessible by wheelchair

Newbridge Silverware & Museum of style icons

For over 70 years local craftsmen at Newbridge Silverware have produced outstanding designs using the best materials available . The Museum of style icons houses some remarkable collections of haute couture from silver screen actors and famous people - Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Princess Grace, Princess Diana, Michael Jackson, Michael Flatley, the Beatles and many more. The museum is rated as one of the top five best free museums in the whole of Ireland

Russborough House, Co Wicklow

Only a 40 minute ride away is the beautiful Russborough House. The Alfred Beit Foundation owns and operates Russborough House. In 1978 it opened Russborough to the public for guided tours for their spectacular building, gallery and beech maze garden that spans 20,000 square feet, so don't forget to pick up a maze map!

Killdare Shopping Village

Only a short 6 minute drive away is the Kildare Village shopping outlet which is set within a beautiful environment having landscaped grounds, over 60 exclusive brand names and an Italian restaurant

Get directions to Cherryville House :-

Type in your location below (i.e. Dublin), hit enter and your map will load

Book by phone

If we are unavailable, please use the form above and we will endeavour to contact you as soon as possible

(+353)+(0)45-521091